Sunday 6 January 2019

A properly long run at last

 After last week's long run was cut short, I had a quiet week with just an interval session.  I was a bit concerned I might be packing too much onto the end of the week but, nevertheless, set out on my planned long run with a goal of hitting twenty miles.  In the end, I got out to almost twelve-and-a-half miles just touching the magical twenty km.  I was very pleased about this.


An iconic Gloucestershire monument, clearly visible from the M5.

I took the usual start up to Newark Park, down into Coombe and across the Westridge all the way to the Tyndale Monument in North Nibley at almost exactly the six mile point.  All I needed to do was retrace my steps and it would be in the bag.

An iconic Gloucestershire monument, clearly visible from the M5.

Heading away from the Monument, my legs felt hollow.  Not tired or sore.  Just...  Nothing at all.  It was an odd experience that lasted about two miles when fatigue started to set in.  A couple of quick stops to take on food and take in the views helped, especially with the very steep path up to Blackquarries Road (pronounced Blackwars, I am told).

Alpacas in Gloucestershire?  Really?!

Just before going up this path, my eye was caught by some odd-looking animals in the distance.  Apologies if the image is a little blurry but that's the limit of my phone's ability to zoom.  I'm pretty sure those are alpacas.  Or llamas.  Or perhaps some kind of mutant camel?

The last mile was particularly trying as I had properly sore muscles by that point and I oh-so-nearly stopped to walk the last mile.  A couple of dozen metres later, I bit the bullet and got on with the run adding in the extra loop at the end to hit the full twenty km.

No comments:

Post a Comment