Friday 11 August 2017

New Watch: Garmin Fenix 5X

My new watch arrived today and it's a monster.

I was torn between the Garmin and Suunto lines.  My friends in the south of France have the Suunto and I was very impressed by them last time we visited.  The decision finally hinged on two things:

  1.  GPS accuracy in urban environments.  There have been lots of reports about poor accuracy using the Suunto in built-up areas.  This isn't really part of their use case as they are marketing more at wilderness adventurers and mountaineers.  The GPS/Glonass performance of the modern Garmins is reputed to be good and I expect to be running and cycling in London several days a week.
  2. Accessories.  I have quite a few of these for the Garmin and it's quite attractive to be able to use them with my new watch.  Due to various bundles, I have two foot pods and an HRM Run strap which are compatible with the Fenix.
Both watches offer excellent battery life and should easily go several days between charges.

On the one hand, I can't wait to try it out.  On the other, I'm a bit sore from yesterday so I'm just going to have to delay until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment