Wednesday 26 September 2012

5x50 Day 18: Hill Sprints

Getting back into some kind of running routine now.  The Médoc really knocked me for six.  It's over two weeks on and I'm only just getting it together again.

Today, I went out for a hill sprint session, covering 6.8k in total.  After a mile or so of warm up jog, I did 10 reps of 100m sprint up a stony 5% gradient, jogging slowly afterwards until my heart rate and breathing settled down.  Then another mile jog as cooldown.

5% doesn't sound much but it really makes the whole thing harder.  My 100m "sprints" take just under 30 seconds and this is flat out effort for me, though.  I really am pushing as hard as I can.  What's encouraging is that my recovery is down to a under 2 minutes between reps.  It was around 3 minutes when I first started.  The reps themselves aren't getting any quicker but my level of fitness seems to be improving a little. 

For good measure, I also threw in 8.5k of cycle riding taking my youngest daughter to/from her friends' house

No comments:

Post a Comment